7 Churches of Asia Minor 5 Days
Tour Code : 7CT5D
“Seven Churches of Revelations (Churches of Apocalypse) in the book of John refer to seven major cities throughout western Turkey: Thyatira-Sardis-Laodicea-Philadelphia-Hierapolis-Aphrodisias. These places provided a relatively safe haven for the Early Christians. For those looking to make a spiritual journey, Turkey cannot be overlooked. For a deeper discovery of Biblical Turkey, join our tours.”
Day 1: IZMIR ARRIVAL (D)
Upon our arrival at Izmir airport or Kusadasi port or Cesme Port , our guide will meet you with your name sign and assist and transfer to hotel. Overnight in Izmir
Day 2: PERGAMON – THYATIRA – IZMIR (B. D. )
After breakfast we drive to Pergamum, actually called Bergama. It is one of the sites of the Seven Churches of Asia [Rev. 1:11; 2:12]. Here we explore the impressive Acropolis, the steepest theatre in the world, the Asklepieion, famous medical centre of classical times, see the Altar of Zeus which is mentioned as the «Throne of Satan» in the book of Revelation, the marble columns of the Temple of Trajan and the Library which was foremost in the world and was long a rival of the equally famous Library of Alexandria in Egypt. Its wealth of volumes was estimated at over 200,000. It inspired the invention of parchment. We also visit the Red Basilica (St. John’s Church). Then we continue our visit to Thyatira, now called Akhisar, another one of the Seven Churches of Asia [Rev. 1:11; 2:18-24; Acts 16:14]. It was a city famous for purple dyes. We visit the remains of a basilica and some architectural fragments from the Roman period. Lydia, the seller of purple in Philippi, was from Thyatira. Before we check in at the hotel in Izmir, we enjoy a panoramic ride of Smyrna, the third largest city in Turkey and one of the sites of the Seven Churches of Asia [Rev. 2:12-17]. Smyrnas is a city scarred with a bloody history of trade and warfare. We ascend to Mount Pagus where we visit the Citadel of Lysimachos, commander of Alexander the Great, erected in the 4th century BC. We will also see the Clock Tower. Check in at the hotel for dinner and Overnight in Izmir.
Day 3: IZMIR – SARDIS – PHILADELPHIA – LAODICEA – HIERAPOLIS ( B. D. )
Today we depart early in the morning to one of the most picturesque areas of any of the Seven Churches of Asia [Rev. 1:11; 3:1-4], Sardis, presently Sart. This was the capital of the ancient Lydian kingdom of the 6th century BC, portrayed as a dying church. We visit the great Temple of Artemis and the Temple of Cybele, which became a Byzantine Church. We will also visit some ancient Lydian houses, and the restored gymnasium and reconstructed Synagogue. We also see the last several meters of the royal Persian Road from Susa to Sardis built by Cyrus the Great and the «golden» river Pactolos. Lunch en route. Then we continue our journey to Philadelphia, nowadays called Alasehir, another church of the Seven Churches of Asia [Rev. 1:11; 3:7], and the only church not censured. There we see the remains of a Byzantine basilica built of brick, with a bit of high arch and some 11th century frescoes. We drive to the healing city of Hierapolis, actually Pamukkale, the white «cotton fortress» where hot mineral water bursts from the earth and cascades over steep cliffs forming pools, channels and stalactites. The therapeutic waters were known to the founders of Hierapolis and of Laodicea in 190 BC. In Hierapolis [Col. 4:13] we visit the Martyrium of the Apostle Philip where he was martyred during the persecutions ordered by Domitian. Proceed to Laodicea (present name Denizli) yet another of the Seven Churches of Asia Minor [Rev. 1:11; 3:14; Col. 2:1; 4:13-16]. We see the ancient theatre, the remains of basilica and ancient stone water pipes. We visit the Gate of Domitian, the Arcadian Way, the 2nd century AD Theatre, the Nymphaion, the Temple of Apollo, the Plutonium and the Necropolis. Check in at hotel for dinner and overnight in Hotel in Pamukkale.
Day 4: EPHESUS – KUSADASI ( B. D. )
Drive to Ephesus visit to the ancient city of Ephesus including the Basilica of St. John and the Ephesus archaeological museum. The Apostle Paul preached to the Ephesians and lived here for three years. This church also received an epistle from him. We tour the spectacular ruins where excavations still continue in this once great and important city, which was founded in the 10th century BC. Walk through history along marble streets lined with wonderful public buildings, among them the Baths of Scholastica, the Library of Celsus, the Temple of Hadrian and the Theatre. The Temple of Diana of the Ephesians, another of the seven wonders of the ancient world, was built in this city. We visit the Basilica of St. John and the Ephesus archaeological museum. Visit The House of Virgin Mary before drive to Kusadasi Overnight in Kusadasi
Day 5: IZMIR – HOME ( B.)
Pick up from hotel and transfer to Izmir airport for flight back home
B = Breakfast L= Lunch D = Dinner (Lunch excluded on private tours)
We can custom design your itinerary to create a touring program that most ideally suits your personal, educational, cultural, and budgetary requirements. Please contact us for details and we will design your dream tour.
|Small Group Tours|
|Price||625 € Per Person|
|Departure||(Day 1 in the itinerary) : Monday|
|Group||Min. 2–4 people / Max 8-12 people|
|1 Person||Please ask|
|2 People||1369 € Per Person|
|3 People||1046 € Per Person|
|4 People||884 € Per Person|
|5 People||788 € Per Person|
|6 People+||Please ask|
|Departure||Guaranteed Departures Daily|
We have a wide range of hotels and upgrades available. You may wish to stay in a hotel not listed here. Just give us a name and we will check rates for that particular hotel. You may also book your own hotel and still join the tour. Click here to see Hotel upgrade options
- Domestic flights in the program.
- Airport transfers where needed.
- Transportation by a comfortable AC non smoking Luxurious car/Van with professional driver.
- Professional and experienced licensed guide during the tours.
- Accommodation in Charming or Deluxe superior Hotels.
- Entry fees to the sites and museums.
- Breakfast included in the hotel.
- Parking fees.
- International flights
- Lunch & Dinner *
- Tips to guide, driver and hotel personnel
- * Refer to itinerary, (B) means breakfast, (L) Lunch, (D) Dinner is included if printed next to day’s itinerary on small group tours. Lunch excluded on private tours.
- On daily city tours; flights, hotels, airport transfers are not included.
- Please ask for discounted rates for family and for large groups.
- Rates in EURO per person sharing a Double Room.
- Flights tickets are e-tickets. Calculation is based on promotional class and rates are subject to change until ticketed. You will receive references to flight tickets after booking.
- This itinerary is subject to change and may be reversed without prior notice according to weather, museum closing days, daily events or other unforeseen circumstances outside the control of Euphrates Tours.
- Small Group tours are with English speaking guide. On Private Tours, you may ask to have Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, German, Russian or Japanese Speaking guides which will depend on availibility.
- You may join this tour in Istanbul or Cappadocia, we can reverse the itinerary.
- For groups over 10 people, contact us for special rates.